Russian Accent Reduction Every language has its own sound system, grammar rules, and intonation patterns which make it unique. Learning a new language means incorporating new sounds, new intonation patterns, grammar rules, as well as other skills, so that you can become an effective communicator.
With Russian as your native language, there are naturally differences between your how you currently speak English and the standard American English accent. Some of these differences may not significantly impact your ability to be understood by Americans, while others may make a tremendous difference in your speech.
The areas listed below are a few examples of general areas your accent reduction program may include.Other areas not included in this list may also be addressed, depending on your particular needs.
1. As a native Russian speaker, you may tend to not move your mouth when speaking English as much as American English speakers do. Your lips may be flatter and your teeth closer together. Americans move their lips quite a bit when speaking. Speaking Your Best will teach you how to move your mouth correctly to pronounce specific sounds and how it will improve your speech.
2. Speaking rate is an important part of speaking effectively. Slowing down your speaking rate may be a focus in your accent reduction program, not necessarily because you speak too quickly, but to help give you time to pronounce sounds more clearly. Speaking Your Best will evaluate your speech to determine if this skill needs to be reinforced and will work with you to teach you the speaking techniques that will assist you best.
3. Russian sounds are generally pronounced more harshly than American English sounds. This means that you use more force to say them. American English sounds, in comparison, are pronounced more lightly, using less force. In addition, you naturally have difficulty pronouncing some American English sounds because you don't have these sounds in Russian. Learn which sounds will make the biggest difference in your accent and how to pronounce them in American English. Once you learn the sounds that impact your spoken English most, you will find that this reduces your accent by significantly. These are the sounds Speaking Your Best will teach you first.
4. As a native Russian speaker, you may find that you have the general up and down pitch associated with American English. Stressing important words, therefore, may not be a significant weakness for you. Also, you most likely end statements correctly. Of course, Speaking Your Best will determine through your speech evaluation if stressing and intonation differences occur and need to be part of your accent reduction program.
5. Using the correct word order for specific types of words, forming tenses correctly, and including articles when speaking are a few of the grammar skills you may be experiencing difficulty with at the present time. Speaking Your Best will help you incorporate grammar skills consistently into your everyday speech to improve the quality of your language.
Accent reduction courses with Speaking Your Best are customized to meet the specific needs you have and are designed to help you become an effective communicator in all speaking situations. Contact us today and learn how you can be a success by speaking your best!